Friday, August 28, 2015

Adrift in the ocean

It occurred to me today as I was driving home from work that it can be pretty difficult to give someone an accurate description of what its like when you're deep in throws of a depression fit.  Yes, I said fit.  Depression can ebb and flow.  It isn't always constant.

It's like being adrift in the ocean.  Nothing to hold onto to. Nothing or no one within reach.  You're tired. You're achy.  And you wonder to yourself if it would be easier to give in and let the waves take you.

When someone tries to reach out to you, sometimes it feels like they are 50 yards away from you. Holding out a hand to you.  Not able to reach you.  Calling to you, but their voice is sometimes drowned out by the sound of the waves.


This can sound pretty dismal, huh?  But you know what?  It isn't up to that person to save you from your depression at that point. They can help you and they can guide you or lead you.  The real hero of this story though has to be YOU.

You need to call to the person reaching out.  Tell them where you are or how to find you.  You have to swim as hard as you can and reach for that hand.

Depression can make you feel alone.  It's hard enough that it can make you feel like your entire world is caving in and suffocating you. But it makes you feel so alone.

Sometimes depression can make you isolate yourself, whether you are conscious of it or not.  You can inadvertently push people away.

This isn't to be confused when you purposely and intentionally cut people from your life that are preventing you from living a mentally healthy life.  It is still super important to remove toxic people from your life.



I did have a session last week.  It's just been super busy between kids, and work and the in-law's farm. 

The session went well..  It gives me time away, to think, to chat with someone who is interested in what I have to say (and not just because I pay her).  Sometimes I think I hold back too much from her.  I don't know.

In moments like this, I just don't have the answers. 
I can sound like I do (see all that above). 
I can try and convince myself (see all that above).

Sometimes it's all about how you get to that point each time.  Did your work not go well?  Did you get into an argument with your significant other? Are you having a hard time with change? Have you been hurt? 

I know what my "questions" are and which I have the answers to. 

Part of how this all started tonight, as a topic, is when I used the (censored) saying "Up the creek without a paddle."   The 5 year old really need this to be explained, and the 9 year old argued about the meaning til I started explaining it further - which sounds an awful lot like how this post started.

I think my bottom line for tonight is to really think about this.  How does it compare to where you are?  Are you letting the waves close in on you?  Or are you swimming like hell to get to those trying to help you?

The goal is to find a way to enjoy the ocean again.

-Saisri

No comments:

Post a Comment